Methodology and Thematic Orientation

My methodology will consist of two levels. The first is analyses of secondary source material. This material will include but not be limited to academic literature, non-academic writing, videos and journalism. The second is analyses of my own personal observations supported by academic literature, both class materials and literature drawn from other sources. All analyses will draw on academic literature to ensure validity.

The thematic orientation of the blog will consist of five basic premises: 1. Anti-racism. 2. Addressing neocolonialism and Western/white privilege. 3. Observing and analyzing the enduring effects of past colonialism. 4. Humour that moonlights as relevant social commentary. 5. Since I am from Canada, the inclusion of analyses based on contemporary Canadian issues of race and colonialism.

Monday, November 28, 2011

Louis CK pissed me off.

Louis CK isn't really that funny to begin with. Not in my opinion. Dave Chappelle and Jim Jefferies kick his ass any day, anywhere. This video, however, isn't just "not funny" but its offensive and pisses me off. He blatantly exercises white privilege in order to justify using a word that signifies hundreds of years of oppression. CK takes this word and instead of finding a way to make a funny statement out of the inherent wrongness of the word and its historical backpack, he pulls a classic white move and tries to make it funny by telling people how to trivialize the word. White people HATE giving these words up, instead they find ways to "take the power out of them".



Stating at the end of the clip that "that nigger made the shit out of my coffee" in reference to his most likely white hipster barista has no apparent function in terms of anything approaching a critique of racism. It seems like CK is trivializing it. White privilege provides the opportunity to be able to take a step back and make trivial something a racialized person would not be able to find the distance to do. I think back to "Race is a 4 Letter Word" where the fallout in class left us admitting that we have no place commenting on identities that we cannot empathize with. Sympathy for the victims of historical and systemic racism does not include, in my opinion, constitute the right to make light of the word nigger.

Some may take issue with me on this, saying that I don't get his humor or that I don't get the context of this clip. If anyone can provide a compelling argument to contradict mine, by all means I will accept defeat, but until then this clip remains racist to me. It not only shows a blatant abuse of white privilege, showing CK's lack of McIntosh style reflection on invisible privilege and perhaps why he doesn't understand the connotations of the word nigger, but an alienating disregard for white people who are ready and willing to reflect on such things. CK could be a huge sarcasm I don't get, but trivializing the word nigger is not to me in any way sarcastic - its an affront to great sarcasm that comedians have spent their careers perfecting and often making potent and relevant social commentaries with. Of course, CK was the guy who said that "everything's amazing and nobody is happy". Anyone who has this baby boomer style blissful ignorance to racism, such that I have observed at enough gatherings at work, with family, and otherwise can't be expected to understand why trivializing the word nigger might be a big problem for many people watching his act.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think that CK is trying to be rude by talking about the "n-word". personally I hate the word and I do not use it but i get what CK is trying to say about how when someone says "n-word" you hear it in your head. I do like how you brought up white privilege though because I dont think i would have thought about it as that otherwise. I think that CK is just trying to make lite the situation that a lot of people use that word in different ways and it has such a negative connotation around it. i dont know i think hes funny sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I became a happy woman again
    With tears of joy and happiness I am giving out my testimony to all viewers on line, my problem with Stomach Cancer stage IB and HIV has caused me many pains and sadness especially in my family.
    I was so afraid of loosing my life, I suffered the embarrassment of visiting
    therapy hundreds of times, unfortunately they did not find a definitive solution to my problem, I cried all day and night, do I have to live my life this way? I searched all true the internet for care, I was scammed by internet fraudsters times without numbers… until a friend of mine who stays in the UK introduced me to a friend of hers who was cured of the same disease, and she introduced me to Dr Itua who cured her from Breast Cancer by this email/WhatsApp +2348149277967,  drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. I contacted him and he promised that all will be fine and I had faith.He sent me his herbal medicines through Courier service and i was instructed on how to drink it for three weeks to cure,I followed the instruction given to me and Today am a happy woman again. He cures all kind of diseases like,Brain cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Ovarian cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma,Herpes,,Liver cancer,Throat cancer,Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma  Infectious mononucleosis,Intestinal cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicityBladder cancer,Hiv,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,Testicular cancer,Tach Diseases,Leukemia.

    ReplyDelete